Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Favorite Actors/Actresses

Do you have a favorite actor or actress whose films you just have to see regardless of whether the movie as a whole looks good or bad? Someone whose performances inspire you? Someone whose skill in acting, witty jokes, or just plain beauty make you love them?
Describe what makes your actor or actress your favorite, whether it be a particular performance, or a particular skill.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorite actors is Will Smith. What amazes me about him is his ability to play in such a wide range of roles. From his hilarity in The Fresh Prince of Belaire, to his grim seriousness in I Am Legend, his skill transcends any one genre, and makes him a great actor in my book. Even in a film as silly as Hancock, I was still struck by Smith's performance as the rebel, misunderstood super "hero". Perhaps his most moving performance was in The Pursuit of Happyness,as you see his character portray the true story of a man struggling to support his family and struggling to reach his dream. His performance was so powerful in this film that he was nominated for an oscar for it. The final film I will mention, which most people have probably never heard of, is Six Degrees of Separation (1993). It is an interesting movie, in which Smith plays a con artist of a sort. It is somewhat difficult to describe, but it was a interesting role that helped get him on the fast track to stardom.

    And quickly, my favorite actress is Angelina Jolie, because shes a babe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harry Dean Stanton. Because he's an all-around awesome guy in films like Alien and Escape from New York and Repo Man, a regular BA (even though SPOILER ALERT the alien in Alien eats him pretty quickly), and then he goes and delivers a performance in Paris, Texas that is the most heartfelt and genuine screen performance I've ever seen, a performance of incredible subtlety and beauty. He's also been chain-smoking for like 60 years now and looks like a used dishrag but he's still going strong at 80-something, and he had a weirdly hilarious part in Inland Empire just a couple of years ago.

    Tom Waits, not because he's a particularly adept actor or anything (though he's definitely talented), but because I'm so in love with the guy and his music that whenever I see him onscreen I drool all over myself. He plays the Devil in a Terry Gilliam movie that's coming up. I'm pretty excited.

    Oh yeah, and it's worth mentioning that Michael Palin has been in the two funniest scenes I've ever seen: the Biggus Dickus bit from Life of Brian and the part in A Fish Called Wanda when Kevin Kline ties him to a chair and sticks french fries up his nose.

    I don't follow actors/actresses very much so I don't really have a favorite actress, but I've liked Frances McDormand in pretty much everything I've seen her in.

    ReplyDelete